Christian Louboutin Lip Definer: Worth The Splurge?

Friday 6 January 2017

 When big designer brands launch into the beauty market, I'm always skeptical of it. In a lot of cases, you're getting mediocre product in fancy packaging with an extortionate price tag. Back in 2014 Christian Louboutin launched his Louboutin Beauté range with a collection of stunning nail polishes, which I tried and actually quite liked. (You can find my review of Rouge Louboutin here!) Last year he expanded his line to include lipsticks, lacquers and lip liners. At €85 for a lipstick and €40 for a lip liner, they are definitely a massive splurge, but is it worth the crazy money?

Obviously, in true Louboutin style, the packaging is absolutely stunning. The Lip Definer's packaging was inspired by Middle Eastern antiquities and the Art Deco movement, using a tall, slender body for a calligraphic-style application. I didn't think I would like how this is much more weighted than your standard lip pencil, but it's actually so easy to use and control. My favourite thing about the pencil is that it has a self-sharpening tool hidden in the lid. I initially didn't realise this and spent about twenty minutes giving out that I had just spent a fortune on a lip liner that I couldn't even sharpen!

The Lip Definer comes in five shades, and I settled on Nats, which is a nude-brown that compliments most of my nude lip colours. They have some beautiful shades to choose from but I wanted one that I was going to get a lot of wear out of for the price I was paying. Interestingly, Louboutin's website says that the Lip Definers are designed to be used with any lip colour without interfering with it. I personally only use it either on its own or with shades that I know will compliment it (it looks absolutely beautiful paired with MAC's Kinda Sexy lipstick!). It's actually comfortable enough to wear on its own, and gives a very natural 'your lips but better' sort of look.
In terms of formulation, Mr Louboutin definitely performed. The Lip Definer is soft and creamy, although I found it quite dry the first time I used it. Once I put the cap back on and let it sharpen itself, I didn't have any issue with dryness after that. As you can see from the swatch above, it's highly pigmented and very long-wearing. The website claims that it'll last for about six hours, and I agree with that. Any lip colour that lasts that long on me is an absolute wonder as my lipstick tends to slide off within an hour!
Now, the million dollar question - is it worth it? Although I absolutely love this lip liner and it's fast becoming my most used lip colour, I don't think I can say it's worth €40. If anything, this is a collector's piece that makes a gorgeous addition to your makeup collection, but it's nothing revolutionary. If you wanted to splash out on a high-end lip pencil, MAC and Charlotte Tilbury are just as good and a fraction of the price. The main reason I wanted to get my hands on a Louboutin Lip Definer was because I collect Louboutin shoes and I have a nail polish from his line, so it was purely a case of adding to my Louboutin collection. However, I don't ever think you need to splash out €40 for a high quality lip pencil.

To be totally honest, it's no better than my favourite Kylie Lip Kit pencils, or my beloved Charlotte Tilbury ones. You definitely get a fantastic product, but this is really just something of a collector's item or a nice gift idea. It's certainly not a product I think you need to race to your local Louboutin boutique to get!
As I said, this retails at €40 and is available from Brown Thomas' Christian Louboutin Beauté counter in the Beauty Halls.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS